Have you ever taken notice that when you are under stress, your skin tends to break out more? This is due to your body producing cortisol and other hormones, which tells your sebaceous glands to produce more oil. When you are stressed, a chemical response occurs in your body which makes it more sensitive and reactive. Skin that is oily tends to be more prone to breakouts and other issues.
Stress can cause us to binge eat, or adversely lose our appetite, sleep deprivation and a slew of other abnormalities to our daily routine. It also has a profound effect on the appearance of your skin, sometimes being the clear indicator that you have more on your mind than normal.
If you are already afflicted by conditions such as psoriasis, rosacea, and eczema, adding stress to your plate can fuel the problem even further. To alleviate your stress and ultimately better your skin’s health, keep these few things in mind to help you better deal with the issue.
– Be sure to keep up with your cleansing routines, and don’t let it fall into neglect.
– Ensure you are getting a proper night’s rest. Your body uses that time to recover and mend itself.
– Exercise regularly, to get your blood flowing and maintain an overall healthy lifestyle.
– Take some time for yourself to do something you enjoy, to get your mind off the things that may be wearing you out.
– Utilize stress management techniques such as breathing exercises, yoga and meditation.
– Take a break! Sometimes, you just need to give yourself a little breather and put your mind on something else.
– Don’t be afraid to say no. Being a people pleaser is a great concept, but know what your limits are by taking on only what you know you can accomplish.
It can never hurt to speak to a close friend or a professional about what’s troubling you. With so many issues that being stress can cause, it’s best to combat your troubles before they start rearing their ugly faces on your actual face.